Thursday, July 19, 2007

Highlight of my Day

Most days are uneventful and routine. Wake up, kids off to where they need to be, pick up kids from where they were, make dinner, bedtime. Ok, I'm minimizing. But every once in awhile, something actual is the highlight of my day, and often-times it goes unnoticed.

On Monday July 16 the highlight of my day was something unexpected. It was my stepson Alex. Alex returned to his mom's house on Friday July 13 for 7 days. In the summer we do one-week-on, one-week-off. I didn't anticipate seeing him until July 20.

Imagine my surprise when he appeared at Adam's camp classroom to seek us out and say HI. He is a CIT in another classroom at Adam's school, and I'd forgotten he would be there on Monday - and even more shocked that before leaving at the end of his day, he came looking for us.

Alex was very special to my grandmother, she loved him as much as she loved my children and I think he knew it. Alex pulled me through some of my dark moments mourning Solomon's death, and now here he was again. It probably didn't mean to him what it meant to me for him to come over and say hi, but it made my day. Thanks Alex.